Who Takes Nutritional | Dietary Supplements / Vitamins, and Why?
WHO TAKES SUPPLEMENTS / VITAMINS, AND WHY?
- 49% of adults used a supplement of some kind in the prior 30 days: 54% of women, 43% of men.
- Supplement use increased with age: 34% aged 20-39, 50% age 40-59, and 67% over age 60
- Non-Hispanic whites use more supplements (54%) than Non-Hispanic blacks (38%) or Hispanics (33%)
- Supplement use is greater in “never” (51%) or “former” (59%) smokers compared to current smokers (30-36%)
- Supplement use is much more common in those with health insurance (53%) than those without (31%)
- Supplement use parallels reported exercise, from “low” (43%) to “moderate” (54%) to “high” (56%).
- Supplement use was higher among those that reported “excellent” or “very good” health (55%) versus “good” (47%) or fair/poor (44%)
Source on above Supplements and Vitamins Usage Research:
Archives of Internal Medicine (now called JAMA Internal Medicine) was Why US Adults Use Dietary Supplements by Reagan L. Bailey and colleagues from the Office of Dietary Supplements at the National Institutes of Health. It also relies on the NHANES dataset, a representative survey of US civilians which began collecting specific information on reasons for supplement use in 2007. Data are collected through interviews, and a Dietary Supplement Questionnaire was used to gather detailed information on each participant’s use of vitamins and other supplements. This survey reports the results from 11,956 adults (children, young adults (< 20 years), and all pregnant and lactating women were excluded from analysis). Here’s the snapshot of the participants:
Most Popular Reasons People Take Supplements / Vitamins
- “to feel better” (41%)
- “to improve your overall energy levels” (41%)
- “to boost your immune system” (36%)
- “digestive issues” (28%)
- “lower cholesterol” (21%)
Most Popular Types of Supplements / Vitamins
CHOOSING THE RIGHT SUPPLEMENT
For more info on Why people take nutritional supplements and vitamins, check out sciencebasedmedicine. for who-takes-dietary-supplements-and-why/
https://teamrich.wordpress.com – Who Takes Nutritional / Dietary Supplements / Vitamins and why?