Eating Raw Vegetables vs Juicing?
THE BENEFITS OF EATING RAW VEGETABLES OR FRUITS COMPARED TO JUICING / BLENDING
- When you chew you make saliva – that is full of enzymes, predominantly amylases. Chewing also provokes very hormone release which of course, along with other factors tells your liver, pancreas and small intestine to produce and secrete more enzymes for metabolising. There are over 10,000 enzymes and co-enzymes in the body – a many are used for metabolizing our food.
- Smoothies can present a problem, as often large amounts of fibrous matter are swallowed without the benefit of mechanical breakdown (chewing) and initial chemical breakdown, also in the mouth (salivary amylase). If there are any digestive weaknesses, one can end up with serious bloating.
- Of course, eating raw fruits and vegetables is beneficial when they are organic and contain no GMOs.
- Juicing and smoothies are good in the old days for fruits but as the latest research or findings by many reputable medical and scientific sources said that fruits contain a lot of fructose, which may not good for health, and suggested the juicing of vegetable juices such as cucumber and other vegetable juices to replace fruit juices. Those people in doubt, should do a bit of research into “The Dangers of Fructose” to find out for themselves.
- Juicing causes blood sugar to rise so the benefits can be a problem for diabetics. Fiber / pulp helps regulate blood glucose uptake – also ends up eliminating alot of alkali zing minerals and phytonutrients.
- When people makes juices and smoothies etc, they often use way too much fruit – should be less than 1/4 – although that depends on the type of fruit, ie., grapefruit and lemon are alot different than grapes and blueberries. Often they also eliminate the outer and inner rind, seeds and core – and of course that is where the most nutrient is. Use complete veg and fruit – pulverizing the food makes the nutrition much more bio-available.
- If you put berries in with other fruit – blood sugar levels shoots up. In addition, strawberries are not good because they have a high affinity with mercury. One its own, berries are great in small amounts because of their levels of anti-oxidants and other phyto nutrients.
- Eating alkaline fruits and veggies is better than eating acidic ones.
- Aim for 70 percent veg (mostly greens) and 30 percent fruit, max. Suggestions if you are juicing are: green apple, ginger, carrot, lemon, lime, avocado, pineapple, protein powder, chia seeds, brown flax, turmeric and cinnamon (though not all at once). All natural, all organic.
- Juicing is more like supplementing nutrients. Juice is processed food that takes from the whole food important constituents such as, fiber, pigments and more for sure. Fiber is so critical for bulking and actually to be full of food and stay full. Studies indicate also that fiber is not a static by-product as once thought but, that it plays an important role in scrubbing and scouring our blood and intestinal tract from all sorts of waste and perhaps has a role in hormonal regulation as well.
- Chinese medicine says that cold or frozen foods can impair the function of certain organs, especially the spleen and lungs. Stay away from combining fruits and veggies to avoid bloated stomach.
- A recent study in the British Medical Journal found that people who consumed more than 3 glasses/week of fruit in the form of juices actually increased their risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes by 8 percent, while those who ate the fruit whole lowered their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 2 percent.
- Juicing extracts the nutrients and water from a vegetable or fruit and leaves behind the fibrous pulp and depending upon the fruit increases the sugar content. For example, a juice containing three beets, two carrots, two stalks of celery, one cucumber, and one small apple is about 40 grams of sugar (note one 12oz coke contains 39 grams of sugar).
- A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices provide live enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to cellular levels within 15 minutes to nourish and enhance growth of healthy cells.
- To obtain live enzymes for building healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice (most vegetables including bean sprouts) and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees C)
- The best way to wash fresh produce is by soaking them in vinegar for a few minutes